Installing additional hard disk drive on your computer for extra storage is a good option specially when you are collecting audio and video files since this could fill up you primary hard disk drive easily.
Before installing the new hard disk drive, unplug your computer, and remove the left side cover of your CPU (System Unit). Position the CPU case in way that you are comfortable in inserting the new hard disk drive on the drive bay.
Also make sure that you have the necessary connectors for you new hdd, a new hdd may require adapters when installing it on an older computer.
1. Our example below is a 160GB SATA HDD, we have a sata connector (cable) and a SATA power adapter- a female 4 pin molex just in case our power supply doesn’t have any available SATA Connector.
2. We have here our primary hard disk drive, a SATA HDD. What we’re going to do is install the new HDD on the empty drive bay below our primary hdd.
3. Carefully insert the secondary hard disk drive on the empty drive bay and secure it with at least two screws.
4. Connect the SATA Connector, and the SATA Power Connector, **** do not connect two power connectors on a single hdd ( 4 pin molex and SATA Power Connector) this would damage the hard disk drive.
Make sure to connect the secondary hard disk drive to SATA 2, 3 or 4 and not SATA 1. SATA 1 is where your primary hard disk drive should be connected. You will have a booting problem if the secondary hard disk drive is connected to SATA 1 unless you reconfigure your BIOS.
5. Ok, were done attaching the secondary hard disk drive, re attach the cpu cover and switch on your computer.